Skip to main content

Services for Graduate and Professional School Students



Welcome UC San Diego Graduate and Professional School Students! CAPS recognizes the complex challenges and demands that UC San Diego Graduate and Professional School Students face, and we understand the importance of providing a variety of services, specifically designed to support Graduate and Professional School Students. While the majority of CAPS offerings are open to Graduate and Professional School Students, see below for programming created especially for UC San Diego Graduate and Professional School Students. You can also look for the CAPS4GAPS logo to easily identify CAPS programming created especially for UC San Diego Graduate and Professional School Students.

CAPS offers the following services specifically for Graduate and Professional Students who are navigating through these challenges. Graduate and Professional Students who have paid current UC San Diego registration fees are eligible for services. Below is a list of our offerings.


CAPS Virtual Services for Graduate and
Professional School Students (PDF)



Counseling Services

Individual Counseling
  • CAPS provides confidential, short-term individual counseling for registered UC San Diego Graduate and Professional Students, including departments within Graduate Division, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, School of Medicine, Skaggs School of Pharmacy, and Rady School of Management.
  • Please visit our Services page for more detailed information about individual counseling services, appointments, and counseling process.
  • To make an appointment, please call our Central Office at 858-534-3755.

Let's Talk Services

Let's Talk for Graduate and Professional School Students

Let's Talk provides informal support with issues such as stress/worry, sleep, motivation, focus, recovering from setbacks, work/life changes, and relationships (personal and professional). Features:

  • Let’s Talk sessions are designed to provide practical strategies, information, and support regarding general wellness-related issues. Please look for an email from your graduate coordinator with more details, including the sign-up and Zoom links.
  • Current Programs: Graduate Division, CSE, SOM, Skaggs, ISPO
  • The sign up process is anonymous. At the beginning of the conversation, the facilitator from CAPS will ask for your name, student ID, and location. For more information, contact Dr. Christina Lambert at 858-534-3035.
  • Visit the Let's Talk page for detailed information and instructions on each Let's Talk program for your department or division.


Current Let's Talk Offerings for Graduate and Professional School Students


Graduate Students

Christina Lambert

Tyler Hatchel


Winter 2021:

  • Christina Lambert, PhD and Dr. Tyler Hatchell, PhD
  • Flyer (PDF)
  • Offered:
    • Wednesdays, 9:00-11:30 am (Dr. Lambert)
    • Wednesdays, 1:00-3:30 pm (Dr. Hatchel)
    • Thursdays, 2:00-3:00 pm (Dr. Shemer)
  • Visit the Let's Talk page for detailed information and instructions.

Computer Science and Engineering Students

Fengqin Lian


  • Fengqin Lian, PhD
  • Flyer (PDF)
  • Offered: Mondays, 2:00-3:00 pm
  • Visit the Let's Talk page for detailed information and instructions.

SOM Students

David Kersey


  • David Kersey, MD
  • Flyer (PDF)
  • Offered:Thursdays, 12:00-2:00 pm
  • Visit the Let's Talk page for detailed information and instructions.

Skaggs Students

Sophia Chang


  • Sophia Chang, PsyD
  • Flyer (PDF)
  • Offered:
  • Mondays, 12:00-1:00 pm
  • Visit the Let's Talk page for detailed information and instructions.

International Graduate Students

Rina Schul


  • Rina Schul, PhD
  • Flyer (PDF)
  • Offered:
  • Mondays, 12:00-1:00 pm
  • Visit the Let's Talk page for detailed information and instructions.

Groups, Workshops and Forums

Groups, Workshops, and Forums


CAPS is proud to offer over 20 unique groups, workshops, and forums each quarter. Groups range from traditional psychotherapy groups, to psychoeducational workshops, and drop-in forums. Visit our Groups page for detailed information. Groups and workshops specifically for graduate students include:



Interpersonal Process Group for Graduate and Professional School Students

Sophia Chang

Interpersonal process groups offer a secure environment to identify and explore feelings, give and receive support and feedback, practice new, healthier ways of relating to others, and experience authentic interpersonal experiences. Participation in such a group is a powerful way to expand self-awareness and improve relational abilities (how we connect, solve problems, respond to hurts, express ourselves, manage distress, etc. with others). It is also a place to gain comfort with vulnerability and explore the complex emotions that come up in relationships with friends, family, romantic partners, work colleagues, etc. It may also help you to improve the way you treat yourself. As members explore and process their reactions and feelings, in real time, this immediacy creates brain and behavioral change that begins to transfer to the rest of life.


  • Sophia Chang, PsyD (858-534-1579)
  • Contact Dr. Chang to schedule a pre-group screening or request Online
  • Time: Thursdays 3:30pm-5:00pm (Weeks 1-10)
  • Location: via Zoom (contact Dr. Chang for more information and schedule a pre-group screening)
  • Flyer (PDF)


Graduate Women in Science and Engineering Forum

Judy Goodman-Fermin

 This is a support space for graduate women in the hard science and engineering fields where women are under-represented. Our goal is to foster a sense of community and support toward the attainment of goals and to encourage self-empowerment to increase and develop a vision for one's personal and professional life. This forum is by referral only; to see if this group is a good fit for you, please contact Dr. Judy Goodman at 858-534-9799.


  • Judy Goodman-Fermin, PhD (858-534-9799)
  • Wednesdays: 1:00-2:00 pm (Weeks 1-10)
  • Flyer (PDF)


ADHD Support Forum for Graduate & Professional School Students

Christina Lambert

If you are a graduate or professional school student who has been diagnosed with ADHD or think you may have ADHD, you may benefit from participation in the ADHD Support Forum, a caring space to share experiences and strategies for better management of ADHD symptoms. To see if this group is a good fit for you, please contact Christina Lambert, PhD at or (858) 534-3035.


  • Christina Lambert, PhD (858-534-3035)
  • Mondays 3:00-4:00 pm (April 5- June 7th)
  • No meetings on 5/31
  • Flyer (PDF)
  • Contact Dr. Lambert for more information


Grief & Loss Support Forum for Graduate & Professional School Students

Christina Lambert

If you are a graduate or professional school student who wishes to work through grief and loss related to death of a loved one, you may benefit from participation in this forum, a caring space to share experiences; give and receive support; explore common physical and emotional reactions; honor the uniqueness of each person’s journey; practice self-compassion; and develop emotional resilience. Conversations will be facilitated by Dr. Christina Lambert, CAPS Psychologist, Kennedy Middleton, Graduate Well-Being Associate, and Anja Payne, Graduate Well-Being Associate. To see if this forum is a good fit for you, please contact Dr. Christina Lambert (858-534-3035).


  • Christina Lambert, PhD (858-534-3035)
  • Tuesdays 3:30-4:30 pm (Weeks 1-10)
  • Flyer (PDF)
  • Contact Dr. Lambert for more information


Burn Bright, Not Out: Support Forum for Graduate and Professional Students

Mojgan Jahan

 A supportive drop-in space for graduate and professional students seeking strategies for preventing and overcoming burnout. Common themes include: stress/worry management, sustaining motivation, recovering from set-backs, working remotely, and navigating interpersonal challenges (personal and professional). Conversations will be facilitated by Dr. Mojgan Jahan, CAPS Psychologist, Alejandra Chaidez, Graduate Well-Being Associate, and Emily Ho, Graduate Well-Being Associate.



LGBTQ Community Forum for Graduate & Professional School Students

Tyler Hatchel

This forum is meant to create space for community development and a sense of belonging. The content is directed by community members and is often focused on LGBTQ and/or graduate and professional student issues. Examples include personal and professional relationships, queer topics in the academic and media, intersectionality, minority stress, feeling connected during strange times, and coping with imposter syndrome. To see if this forum is a good fit for you, please contact Dr. Tyler Hatchel at 858-534-3755 or email him at


  • Tyler Hatchel, PhD (858-534-3755)
  • Thursdays, 4:00-5:00 pm (Weeks 1-10)
  • Contact Dr. Hatchel for more info
  • Flyer (PDF)

Online Mini-Workshops

Online Mini Workshops for Navigating Graduate and Professional School

Under Construction

Referral Services

Referral Services

CAPS provides referral services for students who are referred to outside providers. Reasons for referrals to outside providers include: need for treatment at a rate that would exceed our short-term service model, or a referral to a specialist for particular conditions.

  • For students with SHIP insuance only, CAPS and Student Health Service administers the paperwork required for referrals.
  • For students without SHIP or are double-covered with another insurance plan, they must comply with referral procedures required by the non-SHIP insurer.

CAPS staff will assist in matching the student with a provider who can best meet their treatment goals. In addition, Live Health Online is an televideo option for mental health services that does not require a referral. Please visit the Live Health Online page for more information. If you have any questions about our referral process, please contact our Central Office at (858) 534-3755.


Consultation Services


CAPS provides consultation to students who have general mental health questions or concerns about a fellow student or friend. We will provide as much assistance as possible. Due to confidentiality laws, however, we may not be able to provide information about your friend if they are utilizing our services.

  • For more information about confidentiality limitations, go to our Counseling and Psychiatry Services page, or call our Central Office to speak with one of our resource counselors at (858) 534-3755.
  • To request a consultation, click on the button below.


Outreach Services

CAPS staff provide presentations at the campus wide New Graduate Student Orientation, as well as the School of Medicine New Student Orientation and School of Pharmacy New Student Orientation. CAPS also provides workshops for groups of graduate students in UC San Diego’s Graduate and Professional School Programs. Graduate School Program Coordinators are invited to request the following workshops online by clicking the on the Request a Presentation button below. Select Presentation by CAPS. 10 student minimum. One month advance notice preferred.

  • Imposter Syndrome (Dr. Christina Lambert)
  • Managing Professional Relationships (Dr. Christina Lambert and/or Dr. Rina Schul)
  • Building Resiliency in Times of Uncertainty (Christina Lambert, PhD)
  • Mindful Self-Compassion: A Strategy for Reducing Stress and Increasing Effectiveness when Life Gets Challenging (Christina Lambert, PhD)
  • Manage Time, Sustain Motivation, and Achieve Your Goals (Dr. Fengqin Lian)
  • Managing the Stress of Graduate School (TBD)
  • Romantic Love and Relational Compatibility (Dr. Scott Hansen)
  • Anger and Conflict Management: How to Fight Fair in Relationships (Dr. Scott Hansen)


Graduate Well-Being Associates - Request a Program

Graduate Well-Being Associates

The Graduate Well-Being Associates provide online programs for Graduate Division and the professional schools. For more information or to request a program

Graduate and Professional School Students FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions


Do I have to pay for counseling?

CAPS counseling and psychiatry services are free to all graduate and professional school students who pay student services fees at UC San Diego. There is a $20 no-show or late cancellation charge for missed appointments, or for canceling your appointment less than 24 hours in advance.

Is it possible to receiving couples counseling if my partner is not student?


Yes! As long as one person is a registered UC San Diego student, the couple can seek counseling. The non-UC San Diego partner will need to complete a set of paper forms prior to the first meeting. Please call our Central Office at 858-534-3755 to make an appointment or for more information.

Will I run in to students I teach in the CAPS waiting room?


There is a possibility that you may wait in an area with students to whom you teach or mentor. If you feel uncomfortable, please inform the front desk person to discuss your needs. Because CAPS is located at 8 different locations, the chances of running into one of your students is reduced.

Will I be the only graduate student in the group?

Most of our groups are a mix of both undergraduate and undergraduate students. If you would like a group exclusive to graduate students, we have those too. See the Groups & Workshops section above.

I'm not sure I want to continue with my program and don't know what to do.

CAPS and GrAdvantage offer specialized workshop called Questioning Career Transitions which helps students work through questions and concerns about their academic programs and career track. Additionally, students can seek support from their academic programs or speak to a counselor at CAPS.

How can I balance my family/parnership/relationship and graduate school?

Managing multiple roles can definitely be difficult and stressful. CAPS offers individual counseling to provide support in finding balance with multiple roles. We also offer support groups such as the Graduate Student Support which addresses common concerns and issues among graduate students.

I'm anxious about public speaking and now I have to teach a class. What can I do?

Public speaking is a common concern for individuals. The grAdvantage Program offers offers many resourses, including their Communication Skills Development program. Additionally, the Building Social Confidence Group helps students decrease their anxiety in social situations, and would likely help increase your confidence when leading a discussion.